Change how your BEGINNER & Elementary level kids think about music notation. Help them understand all those abstract musical ‘blobs and dots’ while having a bundle of FUN!
Music notation is actually quite abstract. The way we write music notes actually doesn’t look like how they sound at all! Why is a blob and stick worth one beat, but a blob with a hole in the middle and a stick is worth two?… And a blob with a hole in the middle and no stick is worth four… But a stick and blob with a tail is only worth a half?… Music notation can be so confusing for our younger students!
Our system of Western music notation does work really well as a way to write out our musical thoughts, but the abstract nature of music notation can be tricky for kids to understand! But now you can make it easy to remember with the ‘Donut Note Building’ game – Help your younger ones get a real understanding of these concepts, with some ‘hands-on’ note building… Pull out the ‘foodie’ note building cards and watch them focus. In fact, with this practical and fun hands-on learning activity you can even teach rhythm and music notation concepts usually considered beyond the scope of elementary level!
- Colourful & cute ‘Note Building’ foodie cards: – Donuts, Candy sticks, Marshmallow bars, Toffees and Poco Wafers – All teaching the principles of Western music notation!
- The CARD GAME includes TWO levels: Level 1, for beginners, teaches basic note values. Level 2, for early to late elementary students, teaches dotted notes and smaller note divisions, as well as note groupings. Both levels have a bundle of ‘Chance’ and ‘Note Value’ direction cards, for fun game playing.
- A BONUS set of ‘Note Value’ direction cards adds in Takadimi style rhythm prompts – to help kids ‘feel the rhythm’… Remember, if they can ‘say’ it they can ‘play’ it!
- The BOARD GAME ‘extension’ kit: This extends the game play from a stand-alone Card Game, to a fun and ENGAGING Board Game! The board game extension kit adds in the game board files (with 3 versions/sizes), 6 player tokens, and all the ‘ingredients’ cards, for increased engagement in group learning. Ideal for keyboard classes, theory classes and ‘piano parties’!
- Play it TWO ways – As a CARD Game, and as a BOARD Game: Our Big Bundle is GREAT value, and includes ALL the ‘Note Value’ Cards, ‘Chance’ Cards, ‘Foodie’ Cards, teachers’ Hints & Tips info, and Game Playing rules for BOTH the Card game AND the Board game. Great for 2 to 6 players.
- These materials are custom designed for teaching fundamental notation & rhythm skills. This set has beautiful graphics bringing all the elements to life, and engaging students attention.
- Ideal for younger beginners, right through to late elementary level. Use it to teach basic notation and lots of common rhythm patterns.
- All sets includes both UK and US versions – Choose whichever you prefer!
Take a look through this engaging Music Notation Game Set:
Give your younger students a real HEAD START on RHYTHM READING SKILLS. Build a solid UNDERSTANDING of foundational rhythm concepts… With FUN & games!
1/. ‘DONUT Note Builder’ BIG Bundle – This option includes everything shown here: Card Game, Board Game Extension Kit AND the ‘Note Values Pyramid’ Poster Set. Choose either the US or UK version.
2/. ‘DONUT Note Builder’ CARD Game Set: For those who don’t need a board game, this option includes the notation ‘food’ cards, ALL levels of the ‘Note Value’ & ‘Chance’ playing cards, and the Game Set up and Rules. Choose either the US or UK version.
3/. ‘DONUT Note Builder’ Board Game ‘extension kit’: This option is great for those who have already got the Card Game Set (above), and just need to add on the game board/s, playing tokens, and board game playing instruction, for group play. (This extension kit matches both the US & UK versions above.)
4/. ‘Note Values Pyramid’ Poster: This is the individual poster set for note values, to help students learn and remember note values in simple time. (This poster set is also included with the Rhythm Builder Kit – see below).
If you love teaching HANDS-ON rhythm skills, check out our ‘Rhythm Builder’ Kit!
All these materials are available immediately, by digital download, from your customer account dashboard. And don‘t forget, we maintain all your ’88 Musical Keys’ resources, in your own private, Customer Dashboard…for free. Purchase once, and you can download, print and use it ANY time – including any file updates we add!
Licensing: For great value, all options here include a Single Teacher Studio License:
You may print these activities, games, music, cards and posters for all the students you teach directly and personally, for your lifetime! (Music schools with multiple teachers will need to purchase a copy for each teacher using this material, of course. Contact us if you need a ‘multiple teacher’ license.)
How to Download:
We recommend downloading these resources using a computer (rather than a phone or other device) to make it quick and easy, and a hard-wired internet connection will make it faster, of course. Print it yourself, or take it to a print shop. In either case, the PDF files are set up ready to print on both sides of the page, giving the flashcards, games, worksheet activities and kits a professional presentation. Printing and playing instructions for all resources are included!
All our download files are in PDF format, ready to save, print and use. When printing, we recommend using either Adobe Acrobat Reader (free) PDF software, or ‘Nitro PRO’ software, to open & print our PDF resources. You can also open our PDF files using Google Chrome, and print directly from there. (Other PDF software may or may not print as reliably as these 3 options for these files.)‘
Unzipping’ Bundled Files:
Some files, especially our ‘bundles’ are in zipped folders to make them compact and easier to transfer. To unzip these you can download a free program HERE
‘Online & On-Device’ teaching resources:
Our ‘online’ and ‘on-device’ teaching resources, such as tutorials, slideshows and online/digital games, will be saved directly to your Google Drive, ready for you to use whenever needed.
We especially appreciate 5 star ratings, so if you purchase this product and have any concerns that may lower your rating, please contact us and we will endeavour to rectify any problem!
If you have any questions, please check the FAQ’s at the bottom of our HOME page. If your question is not answered there, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org – Thank you!