This sight reading kit gives you our complete ‘Seaworthy Sight Reading’ resources bundle!
Designed to assist teachers in improving students’ note recognition and sight reading skills, this resource kit gives you a complete set of posters and flashcards that work together to mobilise music literacy!
Too often as studio music teachers we end up with students who struggle with sight reading, despite our best efforts. Somehow, they seem to miss the basic concepts that make sight reading easy… And once they move past the beginner books, their later material often assumes that they are already comfortable with sight reading, and so this fundamental music skill can inadvertently be overlooked.
Our ‘Seaworthy Sight Reading’ resource bundle is useful in two ways: to teach healthy, proactive sight reading; and to remediate poor sight reading skills for students who are struggling. These resources focus firstly on ‘unlocking’ the grand staff ‘code’ to help students recognise individual notes, and secondly on teaching ‘intervallic’ passage reading skills for fluent and more confident sight reading. These posters and flashcards are easy to use and student friendly. Your students will soon be blitzing their sight reading, and learning new pieces more easily and efficiently, and isn’t that what every student and teacher wants?!
This BIG VALUE ‘Seaworthy Sight Reading’ bundle includes:
This set of posters teaches four simple, practical strategies enabling students to read music on treble and bass staves, and on leger lines above and below both staves. In a logical, sequential progression, each poster deals with one of the four important steps needed to build confident note recognition.
Avoiding the use of old style mnemonics, which tend to retard sight reading fluency, these posters teach a simple system for reading music. The first poster explains how each clef ‘unlocks’ the meaning of the staff lines. The second poster demonstrates the way that staff lines show us how low or high notes are, and gives the basic ‘landmark’ notes of G, F and C on treble and bass. For quicker note reading, the third poster helps students memorise the lines and spaces easily. The fourth poster then extends sight reading to include leger lines above and below both the treble and bass staves – it’s easy with ACE!
These bright and colourful posters give you an easy way to teach foundational strategies needed for students to develop good sight reading habits. The quirky ‘pirate’ theme throughout is appealing, and makes these reading strategies very memorable. Custom designed for children through to the young teens – but you may find the older ones taking a surreptitious glance for help too!
Each poster design is included in FOUR sizes – Use the larger ones for room display and the smaller ones as mini-posters or ‘postcards’ for students to use at home!
Use these flash cards in conjunction with the posters to teach secure note recognition – Help students gain fluency naming and locating notes both on the staff and on their instrument. With 130 unique note cards, this resource is divided into four sequential sets to keep it easy to use:
- The first level reinforces recognition of notes on treble and bass staff
- The second level teaches leger line notes above and below both treble and bass staff
- Level 3 then extends note reading skills to include accidentals with notes on the treble & bass staff
- And the fourth level challenges students to recognise leger line notes with accidentals
- Note: Levels 3 and 4 both include enharmonic notes, and ‘white note’ sharps and flats, helping students master these tricky concepts
- And a ‘Personal Best’ score chart is also included: Use it as a helpful tool to motivate and encourage students to practice sight reading, increase fluency and confidence, and build up a ‘personal best’ reading time.
Versatile – You can use these sets as note ‘flashcards’ for naming and playing; and as a ‘Memory Match’ Game laid out on the table or floor; and also as a friendly ‘Snap’ Game to really speed up note recognition skills! Great to use in individual lessons, and ideal to use in group classes. This versatility makes note learning more fun! And it’s a sneaky way to give students the extra repetition they need to help them memorize the notes...
Teach students to read music like a road map, recognising direction and distance at a glance – a much quicker way to read music! Mastering intervallic reading requires lots of practice, so these ‘SLAP’ Cards give you a big bundle of fresh, new material with 144 cards of pitch patterns, in six sequential levels:
- Each level contains 24 cards, with both treble and bass staff, giving plenty of practice and revision
- Each successive level throws a new interval into the mix, allowing student to progress comfortably, while still extending their sight reading ability
- In addition to this, the final set revises and tests sight reading skills, with note patterns containing ALL intervals up to an octave. A great way to revise and test students learning & retention.
- Double the value – For even more variety, students love the quirkiness of reading them backwards too…!
‘SLAP Cards’ make sight reading drill FUN – Watch students become adept at reading pitch patterns, building fluency and confidence.
Understanding music intervals is an important part of helping students become fluent in the language of music. And it is especially important for gaining intervallic sight reading skills! This poster pair has two colourful posters demonstrating the two basic concepts necessary to understand musical intervals:
- The first poster demonstrates how intervals are numbered. Students will learn how to ‘count’ the size of an interval; which intervals have two notes on a line or two notes on a space; and which intervals have both a line and a space note.
- The second poster demonstrates how students can work out the ‘quality’ of an interval – namely, major, minor and perfect intervals
- Colourful cartoons engage students’ attention, and teach the main concepts.
- Each poster comes in three sizes. Firstly, use the larger ones for room display, and secondly use the smaller ones as a student ‘handout’, to help them remember the important points
Turn your students into SUPER SIGHT readers – Help them master sight reading with FUN & games!
Take a look through the ‘Seaworthy Sight Reading’ Posters:
Take a look through the ‘Seaworthy Sight Reading’ NOTE Cards:
Take a look through the ‘Seaworthy Sight Reading’ SLAP cards:
Take a look through the ‘Cat & Dog’ Interval reading posters:
Purchase Options explained:
- ‘Get the LOT’ Big Bundle – Includes EVERYTHING shown here – Both poster sets, and both sets of flashcards & games. This bundle is great value giving you lots of sight reading teaching resources and saving you 30% compared to purchasing each set singly.
- The ‘Seaworthy Sight Reading’ 4 poster set – The FOUR poster teaching set, with a ‘pirate’ theme, shown above, each poster design ready to print in four different sizes.
- The Seaworthy Sight Reading ‘NOTE Search’ Cards: All FOUR levels – 130 cards in total, and the gaming instructions, and the personal best motivational charts.
- The Seaworthy Sight Reading ‘SLAP’ Cards: All SIX levels of the ‘Seaworthy Sight Reading SLAP Cards’ – 144 cards in total, on 24 pages, and the gaming instructions.
- The ‘Music Intervals Poster Pair’ set – The two-poster set, with cat & dog theme, shown above.
Printing & licensing:
The ‘Note Search’ Cards, ‘Slap’ Cards & Posters are easy to download and print. Print them yourself or take them to a print shop. The PDF files are set up to print on both sides of the page, giving each game Card a ‘decorative’ card back. All printing and playing instructions are included, to keep it user-friendly!
For great value, all options include a Single Teacher Studio License – You may print these cards and posters for all the students you teach directly and personally, for life. Music schools with multiple teachers will need to purchase a copy for each teacher using this material.
This complete ‘Seaworthy Sight Reading’ resource kit is also included in our MuZikaalia Resources Pack:
We especially appreciate 5 star ratings, so if you purchase this product and have any concerns that may lower your rating, please contact us and we will endeavour to rectify any problem!
All our download files are in PDF format, ready to save, print and use. Some files, especially our ‘bundles’ are in zipped folders to make them compact and easier to transfer. To unzip files you can download a free program HERE Our ‘online’ and ‘on-device’ teaching resources, such as tutorials, slideshows and online/digital games, will be saved directly to your Google Drive. If you have any questions, please check the FAQ’s at the bottom of our home page. If your question is not there, you can email us directly at firstname.lastname@example.org Thank you!